Re: Is an Oracle View the equivalent of an SQL server Temporary Table?

From: Barbara Kennedy <barbken_at_teleport.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 04:11:35 -0800

No. think of a view as a predefined query that you can issue queries against. I believe in SQL Server that views when they have queries executed against them create a temporary table and then the query is executed against that. In Oracle a view is a query and when a query is issued against it is combines the two queries into one and executes that. In Oracle 8 you can create a temporary table, but I have never used one. It is a new feature and the best description is in the SQL Reference manual (available in HTML at otn.oracle.com or on your Oracle Distribution CD). You may not have to create a temporary table in Oracle like you do in SQL Server. Jim