Oracle NLS_LANG and Apache

From: Dorothea Kuehn <dekay_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Date: 23 Nov 2000 19:59:52 GMT

Hi,
I have some trouble with a connection to Oracle from CGI scripts. The scripts need the NLS_LANG variable set (especially the charset). Ok, I do
  SetEnv NLS_LANG AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1 in the Apache httpd.conf - the variable is set if I look it up with the printenv script that comes with apache - but this always results in   OracleError: (12705, 'Error while trying to retrieve text for error   ORA-12705')
when a script tries to connect to the DB. If I don't set NS_LANG, all string insertions with german umlauts are messed up.

If NLS_LANG is set as an environment variable and I run the scripts from the commandline, everything works.

System: Solaris 2.8, apache 1.3.14, the cgi scripts are in python and use DCOracle (a python module using OCI) to connect to the DB.

thanks for any help,
dekay Received on Thu Nov 23 2000 - 13:59:52 CST