Re: Oracle 7 => Oracle 8

From: <damorgan_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 22:33:33 GMT

In article <cjQS5.77$b9.4411_at_nreader1.kpnqwest.net>,   "Phil" <phg3113_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi !
>
> I was using Oracle 7 on a server. Then we needed to install version
 8.
> I've tried to uninstall version 7 but not all files were deleted
 (c:\orant
> ...). And I didn't succeeded to uninstall the "installer". (...)
> I've installed oracle 8 in another directory, on another drive.
 Everyting
> was running well. Via Odbc, I can access my Oracle 8 DB. But with
 another
> application, I can only access my older Oracle 7 DB's, but I can't
 'see' any
> DB registerd in the TNSNAMES.ORA in Oracle8.
> How can I tell an application to 'look' into the 'new' tnsnames.ora
 created
> with Oracle 8, than into the older oracle environnement
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Phil

You should have done one of two things. Either installed the new Oracle right on top of the old Oracle and run the upgrade SQL scripts Oracle supplies or completely removed the old instance. Taken the Oracle services off-line. And deleted every file under ORAWIN.

These days it is not uncommon to have multiple copies of TNSNAMES.ORA on a single machine. Unless you want to do the job again I would just create a single TNSNAMES.ORA and then copy it to all required locations such as:

ORAWIN\NETWORK\ADMIN
ORANT\NETWORK\ADMIN
ORANT\NET80\ADMIN
ORACLE\ORA81\NETWORK\ADMIN Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Nov 22 2000 - 16:33:33 CST