Re: Defination of "SCHEMA"

From: Brian Tkatch <SPAMBLOCK.Maxwell_Smart_at_ThePentagon.com.SPAMBLOCK>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 12:38:12 GMT

On Wed, 22 Nov 2000 04:36:19 GMT, jkyao_at_my-deja.com wrote:

>hey All~
>
>Does anyone know to explain "Schema"? Give an clear and simple
>explaination. In SQL, schema shows who own the objects. But in
>another website: Schema is the structure of a database system,
>described in a formal language supported by the database management
>system (DBMS). In a relational database, the schema defines the tables,
>the fields in each table, and the relationships between fields and
>tables.
>
>Can Anyone help?

From Oracle8i Concepts

Schemas and Schema Objects
A schema is a collection of database objects that are available to a user. Schema objects are the logical structures that directly refer to the database's data. Schema objects include such structures as tables, views, sequences, stored procedures, synonyms, indexes, clusters, and database links. (There is no relationship between a tablespace and a schema; objects in the same schema can be in different tablespaces, and a tablespace can hold objects from different schemas.)

HTH,
Brian Received on Wed Nov 22 2000 - 06:38:12 CST