Re: Remote Oracle install on Red Hat LINUX

From: Stefan Jahnke <q5665841_at_bonsai.fernuni-hagen.de>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 22:25:22 +0100

Scottfreemail wrote:

> I'm having problems installing Oracle 8i (8.1.6) on my co-hosted server running
> LINUX. I downloaded the software (all 288MB of it) from Oracle website, and
> noticed that the install wizard needed a specific JAVA viewer to run. I tried
> various viewers without any success -- it seems the version of viewer that this
> version of Oracle requires is obsolete ! I really want to install Oracle in
> character mode if at all possible (since I only have telnet access to my box).
>
> 2 questions:
>
> 1) Can anyone point me to a mirror for an older version of Oracle under LINUX
> (eg. 8.0.6) because apparently this java viewer thing is new to 8.1
>
> 2) Can anyone advise me of a mirror which might give me better joy, or assist
> me in solving this problem?
>
> Regards
> Scott

Hi,

goto http://download.oracle.com/otn/linux/ and download the 8051EE, it works perfect for me (at least on SuSE 6.2). You can install it with a console interface over rsh or telnet. By the way, if you look for installation instructions, try http://jordan.fortwayne.com/oracle/, the guy has detailled installed instruction for almost all Oracle version on Red Hat.
I'm just trying to write some scripts to do an automatized install of Red Hat and Oracle 8.0.5. In case you're interested in some "experience exchange", mail me at s.jahnke_at_luw-ag.de.

ciao
Stefan Received on Wed Nov 22 2000 - 15:25:22 CST