Re: How do I start Oracle 8i???

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 23:09:54 +0100

<adolph_mendicant_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message news:8veqk8$8qg$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> In article <8veotd$47j30$3_at_ID-62141.news.dfncis.de>,
> "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:
> >
> > <adolph_mendicant_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Heehee. Seriously, I can start up SQLServer with no problem by
 walking
> > > through the wizards. Is Oracle so arcane it can't be started by an
> > > experienced programmer?
> > >

> > > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > > Before you buy.
> >
> > All it requires is a little reading of the Getting Started Manual
 before
> > you ramble away.

> OK. Where do I get a Getting Started Manual? All I have is a CD with
> a trial version of Oracle 8i Enterprise on it.
>
> > Also if you are trying to install Oracle 8i *Server* as opposed to
 Personal
> > Oracle 8i, rest assured it is not going to work at all, because the
 Server
> > is for NT only.
>

> Ah. The CD doesn't say that anywhere on it.
>

> > A protocol adapter is nothing more than the Oracle equivalent for a
 network
> > protocol. If you are trying to configure SPX and you don't have
 Netware
> > installed, it is obvious it doesn't work. This may not be true in
 your case,
> > but you provide very little clues as to what is really going on.
>

> Here are all the clues I have:
>

> I'm a C++/Java developer trying to see if my companies product works
> with Oracle. We've been developing against SQLServer and Access. I
> just want to install Oracle and create an empty database.
>

> Do you know of any docs that can help me do that? I can't find any on
> Oracle's site, either.
>

> Thanks.
>

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Usually any CD comes with docs, you can install them using the Oracle Universal Installer.
You indicate you have the Enterprise Edition. It is *NOT* going to work on Win98. Also only 8.1.6 and higher are supported on Win2K, for 8.1.5 you would need Win NT 4.
Apparently Win98 doesn't have identical Microsux networking dll's as on NT.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Tue Nov 21 2000 - 16:09:54 CST