Re: How do I start Oracle 8i???

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 22:20:23 +0100

<adolph_mendicant_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message news:8venug$68d$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> In article <3A1ACBD0.B34BB91D_at_bridgewatersystems.com>,
> Tony Walby <tony.walby_at_bridgewatersystems.com> wrote:
> > Hire a DBA...
>
> Heehee. Seriously, I can start up SQLServer with no problem by walking
> through the wizards. Is Oracle so arcane it can't be started by an
> experienced programmer?
>

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

All it requires is a little reading of the Getting Started Manual before you ramble away.
Also if you are trying to install Oracle 8i *Server* as opposed to Personal Oracle 8i, rest assured it is not going to work at all, because the Server is for NT only.

A protocol adapter is nothing more than the Oracle equivalent for a network protocol. If you are trying to configure SPX and you don't have Netware installed, it is obvious it doesn't work. This may not be true in your case, but you provide very little clues as to what is really going on.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Tue Nov 21 2000 - 15:20:23 CST