Re: Listeners VS. databases

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 00:47:08 +0100

Answers embedded.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

<jkyao_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message news:8veqt9$8vi$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> hi all~
>
> If I want to start two instances at the same time, do I need two
> listener to listen to two databases?

NO!

After I set two instances, can I
> startup two of them at the same time?

YES In Oracle 8, I start 2
> listeners, but cannot start two databases.
Not true, which error are you getting
 I setup each listener to
> listen to each database, but still not working...........
> Anyone have any idea to do so?

The sid_list_listener block in listener.ora can exist of multiple sids. Simply merge the two definitions into one. Also, you can't have multiple listener.ora's, the config for multiple listeners is in one listener.ora.