Re: quoted column names,

From: David Grzebien <dgrzebie_at_columbus.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 03:06:34 GMT

faheemrao_at_my-deja.com wrote:

> I have Oracle schema in which the tables are created with their column
> names quoted,
> for example
>
> like
>
> create table number_test
> ("Number" varchar2(11));
>
> but when I access the table like this
>
> select number from number_test,
>
> Oracle engine gives me an error
> that "Invalid column name"
>
> But when I issue the select statement
>
> select "Number" from number_test ;
> then it runs fine.
>
> I am trying to figure out is there is any way that we can run the
> select query without having column name in quotes.
>
> I can run query with quotes, but I need some help in Oracle
> Congiguaration that would Make oracle to give a positive response to my
> quries without quotes.
>
> any assitence would be very helpful to me
>
> thanks
>
> Faheem
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

To the best of my knowledge, the only way you can get it to do what you are asking for is to drop and recreate the tables. By using the quotes around the field names, the field names are now case sensitive. There is no configuration parameter to get around this. I know of no reason to ever create a schema like this.

Sorry to give you the bad news.

Dave
Expert Technical Consultants, Inc Received on Tue Nov 21 2000 - 21:06:34 CST