Re: startup / shutdown sequencing

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 14:15:13 GMT

For the most part, you can start these up in any order you want. The RDBMS and the Listener can start in any order. Oracle Names is a little different. Are you using a Region Database? If not, then this can start at any time since it's not dependent on any database. If you are using a Region Database, then the database that you are connecting to should be up before you start Names. I've experienced many problems when Names was started and the Region DB could not be contacted.

HTH,
Brian

David Van Zandt wrote:

> I have become confused about the "correct" order in which to start up RDBMS,
> my TNS listener, and Oracle Names. Can anyone please assist, or point me in
> the right direction for the docs?
>
> TIA.

Brian Peasland
Raytheons Systems at