Re: Microsoft Access - Oracle8i

From: <jkipp_at_mbna.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 13:55:18 GMT

If you can, install the Oracle client and use the ODBC administrator to connect to the Oracle Database. If not you can still use the ODBC admin that comes with your windows box (make sure you have the latest version, you can get from MS). In the ODBC screen, click the 'system DSN' Tab. CLick add and in the data source box put the database name and the host name of the ORacle database (database.oraclebox). Also put that in the service name. CLick OK.
THen in Access, click File-Get External Data- Import. Under file types click ODBC databases, then from the ODBC box pick the database you had setup to connect to earlier. Then just click the tables you want to import into access. You will probably be prompted for a username and pw to access the oracle dbase. Once the tables are loaded you can Query them and make forms, etc, etc..

HTH
Jim

In article <3a1a788a.46297953_at_news.alt.net>,   SPAMBLOCK.Maxwell_Smart_at_ThePentagon.com.SPAMBLOCK (Brian Tkatch) wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Nov 2000 04:10:06 GMT, timf97_at_earthlink.net wrote:
>
> >How do I create a tnsnames.ora entry for an Access database?
> >What does it look like?
> >
> That much I do not know. I would assume that you would need to use an
> ODBC entry. I have only gone from Access to Oracle, however.
>
> Brian

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Nov 21 2000 - 07:55:18 CST