Re: Are java stored procedures worth it?

From: <karsten_schmidt8891_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 16:11:20 GMT

Matthew,

  I am _not_ using java stored procedures right now,  but I can see them being useful for performance tuning jdbc applications. just take an existing data-intensive piece of java code, drop it into the database, and you are done.

 The other option would be to port this particular method to pl/sql, which would be a lot more trouble: a rather dramatic shift in paradigms.

Karsten

In article <8v38b7$b86$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   Matthew Fuller <matthewlf_at_my-deja.com> wrote:
> In article <8v2ghl$prs$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> Eoin Gardiner <eoin7_at_my-deja.com> wrote:
> >

> > I need to evaluate the use of java stored procedures, which I have
> > never used before.
> >
> > I will be trying the examples from the Oracle Technology Network,
 but
> > also want to solicit input from people who have experience of using
> > java stored procedures, via the following questions:
> >
> > Are there clear advantages of using java stored procedures over
> > traditional PL/SQL ones?
> >
> > It seems that they are more complicated to build, needing a
 compilation
> > in java, and a PL/SQL wrapper, whereas PL/SQL stored procedures can
 be
> > built at a snap from a script.
> > Does this make creation and maintenance much more difficult?
> >
> > Are there any performance gains or drops with java stored procedures
> > over PL/SQL?
> >
> > The application under development is a web application written using
> > java (including EJBs).
> > Is this a reason to use java stored procedures?
> > Is there a possibility of direct calls from client java to java
 stored
> > procedures?
> >
> > Any feedback on your experiences greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.
> >

> I am currently in a similar situation. I don't have any real-life
> advice for you, but here is a quote from "Oracle8 Design Using UML
> Object Modeling" (Dorsey and Hudicka, Oracle Press):
>
> "...Uncompiled Java code offers reasonably comparable performance to
> PL/SQL, though not quite as good, given the number of years that have
> gone into the optimization of PL/SQL within the server.
> However, compiled Java code can execute up to ten times faster than
> PL/SQL..."
>
> This is in the "Server Side Code" section of Chapter 1.
>
> The authors also elude to the fact that although PL/SQL will be around
> and supported for quite some time, the trend will be to move towards
> Java. The obvious reasons are open standard/non-proprietary.
>
> I would probably pay money to see a list of all the possible access
> methods into the database (i.e. server side .vs. client side,
> compiled .vs. ucompiled, SQLJ .vs. PL/SQL, etc.) ranked and weighted
 in
> order of performance to be able to factor that into design
> considerations. Man, life was much easier when PL/SQL was the obvious
> choice for most data access.
>
> Hope you get some more information. I'll be keeping my eyes on this
> thread.
>
> Matt.
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Nov 21 2000 - 10:11:20 CST