Re: VLDB topic

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 21:46:54 -0000

The 'modern' way to do this is through the use of Partitioned Tables. (See my web-site, and the book when its available).

In this case, the strategy would be to use range-partitioning, with a date (age) based range. In this way, the requirement to

    'delete all data prior to 1st jan 2000' could become

    alter table big_table drop partition p2000_01;

Total elapsed time typically a few seconds, with virtually no rollback and redo.. You also get the benefit that older partitions (data) can be segregated into separate tablespaces, which can be made read-only - which reduces the need for regular large backups.

--
Jonathan Lewis

Practical Oracle 8i:  Building Efficient Databases

Publishers:  Addison Wesley Longman
Book bound date: 8th Dec 2000
See a first review at:
http://www.ixora.com.au/resources/index.htm#practical_8i