Sharing info Oracle8i on Solaris x86

From: Kevin Haas <kahaas_at_carolina.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 17:49:21 GMT

I was finally able to start two Oracle databases on my Solaris x86 machine. It was "swap" space that was holding me back.

No matter how small the SGA the instance will require about 200MB of memory. Fortunately, most of it is instantly paged out to swap.

Thus, if you are installing Solaris x86 and plan to run Oracle I recommend creating a large swap space, much larger than the default. The rule: swap = 1.5 * RAM does not apply hear unless you have large amounts of RAM.(1GB+.)

If you have already allocated all diskspace and can not increase the swap fs then see what I did below:

Swap can also be added using the swap and mkfile commands: 1. Create a Solaris swapfile in your regular filesystem: #mkfile -v 300m /solarisswapfile
2. Inform Solaris about the new swapfile: #swap -a /solarisswapfile.

Enjoy! Received on Sun Nov 19 2000 - 11:49:21 CST