Re: Can NOT start second database

From: Kevin Haas <kahaas_at_carolina.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 17:41:08 GMT

Thanks.

I fixed it, but I don't think that was the number holding me back. I updated shmmax to the Oracle recommended number of 4 billion something.

The other thing I did was add more swap space. It seems Oracle grabs a lot of memory at startup some RAM and some SWAP. Here is how I did it as root:

  1. mkfile -v 300m /solarissswapfile <--creates a 300MB file
  2. swap -a /solarusswapfile. <--tells Solaris to use this file for swap

This gave Solaris enough swap space to work with.