Newbie Informix-Oracle migration question

From: VWP914 <vwp914_at_aol.com>
Date: 19 Nov 2000 02:28:40 GMT

Hello again, everyonw and thanks for those who responded to my last post.

As I stated last time, I am currently looking into converting from Informix to Oracle.
One of the first things that come across when browsing the oracle web site, is that they really push their product as being an "internet database." Is oracle mostly employed on internets/intranets or is it also used for traditional client/server applications? The reason I ask, is that we have a lot of applications that are written in ESQL/C (C with imbedded sql) that interact with the Informix database, and write reports for printing to the operating system. Making all of our apps web enabled just doesn't make sense. A browser is a great place to implement user input forms, but I don't see it as a place to launch programs - at least not yet. One of the nice things about Informix, is that it had a wrapper for everything: by launching the database, you would have a customizable user menu, access to programs, forms, reports, operating system commands, just about everything accessible by menus - albeit archaic tab navigated menus - which our users are scared of. I started looking into Oracle as a way to improve our user interface, and because we have been screwed royally by Informix's software purchasing policy. MS databases are definitely out of the question because their operating system is unstable. Oracle seems to be the way things are going, but I don't want to get into anything that is going to be soley internet based - say for instance if they droped the client/server functionality of forms runtime, and made it so that everyone had to run forms-server in a 3-tier environment.

Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

Thomas P. Otten Received on Sat Nov 18 2000 - 20:28:40 CST