Re: rman connect (remote_login_passwordfile=exclusive)

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 15:44:00 +1100

Well, first: you can't just suddenly pretend you're not using a password file, if that's your normal method of authenticating as a Privileged User. You can dispense with the password file only if you've implemented O/S authentication (by setting up the appropriate O/S groups and establishing appropriate o/s user memberships)

Secondly: the example I gave you wouldn't have touched a password file in a million years. SYSTEM is not a privileged User, and is therefore authenticated (as are 99.99% of other Users) via the data dictionary. So if you were trying to log on as SYSTEM and got an invalid logon message, it means you typed the wrong password for SYSTEM.

What is the exact configuration you are using, what are the exact O/S and Oracle versions, what is the connect string you are typing, and what is the exact sequence of error messages you're getting. Let me have all of those, and I can certainly work through this one with you.

Regards
HJR

Opinions expressed are my own, and not those of Oracle Corporation
Oracle DBA Resources:               http://www.geocities.com/howardjr2000