Re: two listeners help

From: David Fitzjarrell <oratune_at_aol.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 20:27:19 GMT

In our last gripping episode "Steve" <schen_at_prodigy.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Unix platform, I have installed an V8.0.6 db and would like to
 have it
> co-existing with production V7.3.2 before finally switched over.
 V7.3.2
> use port 1521 for listener. I would like to have two listeners co-
 exist
> in order not to have conflict. V8 db uses "oracle8" while V7
 use "oracle"
> as owner. I would have 1526 as V8 listener.
>
> So how to implement it? Do anyone think I should change tnslsnr
 name in
> order not to confuse the system? By the way, multiple listeners
 is
> supported, then would that mean you need multiple ports launched by
 one
> listener only, or need multiple listeners, such as multiple tnslsnr
 files
> (both db do have its tnslsnr file with diff size)?
>
> I would like comment before I crash my system.
>
> All helps are very appreciated.
>
> Steve

You can add the 8.0.6 service, through port 1526, to the existing listener.ora file then reload or restart the listener. Also add the pertinent information to the tnsnames.ora file. This will give you one listener but several service handlers. You should see both services available when you check the listener status.

YOu could also create a second listener (this one would need to be named since the defaulkt, LISTENER, is already in use). This new listener would be started by specifying the listener name to lsnrctl:

lsnrctl start <listener name>

For example, if you named the new listener 'ORALSNR8' you would start it in this manner:

lsnrctl start ORALSNR8

I presume you have two installations of Oracle, thus two different ORACLE_HOME values. To properly start this new listener you will need to point ORACLE_HOME to your Oracle 8 home and use the lsnrctl executable installed there. This will also allow you to separate the listener files (listener.ora, tnsnames.ora) so that the various listeners won't accidentally read the wrong files.

--
David Fitzjarrell
Oracle Certified DBA

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/