Re: Are java stored procedures worth it?

From: Dave Godbey <luhbey_at_erols.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 20:34:35 -0500

I have built Java classes, loaded them into Oracle, wrapped them in PL/SQL, and used them. There is an article in Java Developer, circa December 1999 that helped me greatly. If you are using JDeveloper, you can acutally deploy your classes directly into Oracle. Quite nice.

As far as performance is concerned. After doing the loading and all, the first time you call the procedure, performace was quite slow. However, after the initial load, the performace was very good. I would ask those who report sluggish performance, did they disregard the first call, and base the time measurement on the second and later calls?

There are situations where you need Java, like certain kind of data manipulation and mining. For example, we found Java classes on the internet from USGS to make coordinate transformations. These transformations would have been silly to try in PL/SQL. However, the transformations worked very well in Java/PLSQL. There were good reasons why we wanted to avoid using the classes in the middle tier, and therefore put them in the back-end.

I hope this helps,
Dave