Authentication clarifications

From: <mandeep2000_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 07:13:31 GMT

Hi,
Kindly clarify my confusion . I am very new to Oracle

  1. if a user has to be authenticated by the OS , is it must that you set REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE to NONE ?
  2. what do you mean by secure connection ? In NT I understood that as trusted connection ? What does it mean in UNIX ?
  3. Then can I do instance STARTUP/SHUTDOWN from my PC instaed of server . After what book says I have to telnet to server to do admin if I use OS Auth. ?
  4. Is OS Auth on UNIX only for admin purposes that is SYSDBA and SYSOPER users. ?

All our users here use userid and passwords but we never created any PASSWORD FILE ? then where does this utility come into Play?

Also where can I find some articles on this ?

Mandeep

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Nov 17 2000 - 01:13:31 CST