Re: 8i standby database: Read Only?

From: Alex Filonov <afilonov_at_pro-ns.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 17:59:17 GMT

The first destination is mandatory. You can also define secondary destination. In this case, min_succeed_dest is set to 1 if you want primary destination to succeed and 2 if you want both to succeed. But archiving to primary destination always has to succeed.

In article <974393259.13884.0.nnrp-07.9e984b29_at_news.demon.co.uk>,   "Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Is the archive destination specifying the
> network service a Mandatory destination,
> or is the min_succeed_dest set so that
> the network destination has to succeed ?
>
> I had a lot of trouble with managed standbys
> on an 81.5 system when anything caused a
> temporary stoppage, and had to restart things
> manually.
>
> Fortunately all the log_archive bits and pieces
> can be set using: 'alter system set ...' so it
> was usually possible to get things up again
> without bouncing the primary database.
>
> The most important change I made was to
> set the networkservice as an optional destination.
>
> --
>
> Jonathan Lewis
> Yet another Oracle-related web site: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk
>
> Practical Oracle 8i: Building Efficient Databases
>
> Publishers: Addison Wesley Longman
> Book bound date: 8th Dec 2000
> See a first review at:
> http://www.ixora.com.au/resources/index.htm#practical_8i
>
> Andreas Boehm wrote in message <3A140708.4D8374F_at_class.de>...
> Hello,
>
> now I've got an other question about standby databases with oracle
> 8.1.6.
> The docs specify that the managed standby database can be set in
> read-only modus, so it can be used for reports. The docs specify that
> the
> standby DB can be reset to standby without shutting down. But if we set
> the read-only (ex-standby) DB back to managed standby, the primary
> DB cannot send any redologs to the standby DB. following error occurs
> (reproducable) at primary site:
> Thu Nov 16 15:39:42 2000
> ARC1: Beginning to archive log# 3 seq# 288
> Thu Nov 16 15:39:42 2000
> Current log# 2 seq# 289 mem# 0:
> /platte3/oracle8/oradata/o8i_desd/oradata/oi81
> 6/redo02.log
> Thu Nov 16 15:39:42 2000
> ARC1: RFS network connection lost at host 'oi816sby.class'
> ARC1: Error 3113 creating standby archivelog file at host
> 'oi816sby.class'
> ARC1: Error 3113 creating archivelog file 'oi816sby.class'
> ARC1: Failed to archive log# 3 seq# 288
> ARCH: Archival stopped, error occurred. Will continue retrying
> Thu Nov 16 15:39:42 2000
> ORACLE Instance desd - Archival Error
> ARCH: Connecting to console port...
> Thu Nov 16 15:39:43 2000
> ORA-16038: log 3 sequence# 288 cannot be archived
> ORA-00000: normal, successful completion
> ORA-00312: online log 3 thread 1:
> '/platte3/oracle8/oradata/o8i_desd/oradata/oi8
> 16/redo01.log'
> ARCH: Connecting to console port...
> ARCH:
> ORA-16038: log 3 sequence# 288 cannot be archived
> ORA-00000: normal, successful completion
> ORA-00312: online log 3 thread 1:
> '/platte3/oracle8/oradata/o8i_desd/oradata/oi8
> 16/redo01.log'
> or:
> Thu Nov 16 14:09:38 2000
> ARCH: Beginning to archive log# 3 seq# 207
> [...]

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Nov 16 2000 - 11:59:17 CST