Are java stored procedures worth it?

From: Eoin Gardiner <eoin7_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 05:43:17 GMT

I need to evaluate the use of java stored procedures, which I have never used before.

I will be trying the examples from the Oracle Technology Network, but I also want to solicit input from people who have experience of using java stored procedures, via the following questions:

Are there clear advantages of using java stored procedures over traditional PL/SQL ones?

It seems that they are more complicated to build, needing a compilation in java, and a PL/SQL wrapper, whereas PL/SQL stored procedures can be built at a snap from a script.
Does this make creation and maintenance much more difficult?

Are there any performance gains or drops with java stored procedures over PL/SQL?

The application under development is a web application written using java (including EJBs).
Is this a reason to use java stored procedures? Is there a possibility of direct calls from client java to java stored procedures?

Any feedback on your experiences greatly appreciated.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Nov 16 2000 - 23:43:17 CST