Re: Converting from Informix to Oracle.

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 19:56:13 GMT

Christopher,

While I have not crossed over from Informix to Oracle, I can offer this bit of advice from someone who has worked with numerous systems over the years.

Informix is a relational database. Oracle is a relational database. They essentially do the same thing. When going from one system to a similar system (such as a relational db to a different relational db) I always found it easiest to go back to the basics. Each of these two systems still follow the foundations of relational database theory. They just differ in their execution of the theory. If you can understand the theory behind the systems, then it's just a matter of learning how to apply that theory to the new system.

For instance, in Oracle there are users of the database. Each user in the database is a schema owner. In MS SQL Server, there are "databases" inside the database. These "databases" are analagous to Oracle schema owners. They are both doing the same thing just in two different ways.

HTH,
Brian

christophercale_at_my-deja.com wrote:

> All,
>
> Our organization is comtemplating converting from Informix to Oracle
> Enterprise server. How easy will it be for me, as DBA, to crossover?
> I have 2 Informix certifications and have been doing DBA and Unix Sys
> Admin for many years. Is it going to be a big deal?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Christopher
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.