Re: Runaway listener processes on Ora7.3.4, Digital UNIX 4.0D

From: NetComrade <andreyNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 15:39:28 GMT

Check Metalink on Dead Connection Detection (sqlnet.expire_something). Try using MTS mode instead of Dedicated Mode. Reevaluate your SORT_AREA_SIZE and RETAINED_SORT_AREA_SIZE parameters in init.ora file, since they control how big a process starts for a single, dedicated db connection.

On Sun, 12 Nov 2000 07:09:57 GMT, STiger2000 <stiger2000_at_my-deja.com> wrote:

>I've seen similar problems on other unix systems: typically occurs when
>a user drops their end of the connection less than "gracefully" (i.e.
>running MSWindows-whatever, the click the [X] in the top right hand
>corner of their session instead exiting the application). Often the
>background process on the server will have a parent pid of 1 (init).
>They'll never get notification from the foreground process that its
>time to cleanup and say goodnight. On BSD flavors of unix (which I
>believe Digital Unix is), I have seen the runaway CPU consumption, but
>not the RAM ... different strokes. You may need to develop and
>algorithm for identifing the beasts and reducing their numbers (ie
>using kill -11 or kill -15 to give them a chance to exit gracefully).
>It really gets to be fun when they become zomies (or <defunct>). Your
>mileage may vary. -caveat-caveat-caveat-
>
>jc
>
>In article <8u5pfh$s9f$1_at_Mercury.ev.co.yu>,
> "Vukadinov Branislav" <Branislav.Vukadinov_at_ev.co.yu> wrote:
>> Hi, all
>>
>> I'm working in Oracle 7.3.4 on Digital Unix 4.0.d. Hardware is
 AlphaServer
>> 4100, 1 CPU 400 MHz, 512 MB RAM, 2 GB swap.
>>
>> In a last few days we have a problem with the machine.
>>
>> The main database processes are fine, but we have a lot of spawned
 processes
>> from the listener, "oracleedns" ("edns" is the name of the instance).
 Some
>> of those processes are choking our machine. Output of "ps aux" shows
 them to
>> be in a "R"unnable state and sucking CPU and RAM. Those processes keep
>> multiplying until we get "out of swapspace" message and machine
 stalls. The
>> only solution is to reboot.
>>
>> AFAIK, for every client connection, listener spawns one process
 "oracleedns"
>> to handle the request. Most of those processes run fine, but some of
 them go
>> "hay-wire". We cannot pinpoint the problem, different users,
 different parts
>> of application run into this. And not all of them.
>>
>> Those runaway processes leave large user-dump tracefiles ~100 MB, as
 oposed
>> to ~10 kB for usual dumps. Naturally, it clogs up the disk.
>>
>> Could someone sugest how to audit this problem and find a solution?
>>
>> TYIA,
>> Bane.
>>

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

In case I forgot to mention:
We use Oracle 7.3.4 and 8.1.6 on Solaris 2.6, 2.7 boxes
Andrey Dmitriev	 eFax: (978) 383-5892  Daytime: (917) 750-3630
AOL: NetComrade	 ICQ: 11340726 remove NSPAM to email