Re: Disaster Recovery HELP!!

From: Glen A. Stromquist <glenstr_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 15:24:32 GMT

In article <3a136b7a_at_news.iprimus.com.au>,   "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote:
> I am interested, so I would like copies. I often get asked for
 scripts by
> students (so I hope you won't mind me doshing them out to all and
 sundry if
> they are appropriate).

I'd be happy to send you a copy, although I'm wondering why you would want a script that does something you deem totally unnecessary, perhaps for education purposes only?

My point in doing this was to have EVERYTHING I needed to do a restore in one place, ie. my backup destination on another drive on a different machine. I believe that the script I wrote does just that.

Your feedback (and others)is always welcome...

ps. where do you want the scripts sent?

 http://www.geocities.com/howardjr2000

> "Glen A. Stromquist" <glenstr_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message
> > <snipped>
> > >In particular, you'll
> > > discover that there's a very good reason why backup exec won't
 take an
> > > online copy of the Online Redo Logs -because it would be
 pointless to
 do so.
> > > The files would be internally inconsistent, and what mechanism
 have
 we got
> > > to make them consistent?? Nada is the short answer.
> >
> > It is pointless to take a copy of the online redo logs, but what you
> > can do is have your hot backup script do an alter system switch
> > logfile after the last datafile has been backed up and put back
 online,
> > then take a copy of these logfiles that were generated while the
> > hotbackup script was running as part of your hot backup. This gives
 you
> > a true "up to the minute" hot backup.
> >
> > I have a simple set of 3 SQL*PLUS scripts I wrote for an NT
 hotbackup
> > that does exactly this, if you are interested I'll send you a copy.

> > > Opinions expressed are my own, and not those of Oracle Corporation
> > > Oracle DBA Resources:

 http://www.geocities.com/howardjr2000

> > > "George" <corcorang_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message
 log
 was
 stopped
 all
 will

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Nov 16 2000 - 09:24:32 CST