Re: NLS probleam

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 15:36:31 +1100

A glance at Oracle documentation will tell you that what he is seeking to do is a perfectly legitimate part of the 'alter database' syntax.

What's more, the original poster appears actually to have read that documentation, since his sequence of commands is *exactly* as stated therein, even down to the job_queue_processes=0 statement, which is not something that would readily come tripping out of my head unless prompted.

What's even more, I follow the exact same steps, and get exactly the same error, and it's got zilch to do with the database being opened by someone else, or anything like that -I'm the only one at home (unless the cat has become rather more adept at database administration than I realised).

Having done testing on this and got the same error messages, I then created a brand new test database to have another go. In order to free up memory, I shut down the management server, and created a fresh database. The exact same sequence of commands as shown below now worked fine.

At this point, my Management Service failed, and to be on the safe side, I rebooted the server.

Once the box was back up and running, I went immediately back to the first database, and tried again, and the thing now worked!!

Net result: there is nothing intrinsically wrong with this sequence of commands (being a lazy typist, I was actually cutting and pasting out of the original post). But something somewhere is getting confused at letting go of the database. I suspect the Agent myself (calling it "Intelligent" has always been a bit generous). All I can tell you is that in the middle of that sequence of tests above, I rebooted the server, and then made sure all the exact same services came on-line again. Clearly, that 'popped' some stack or other.

Not terribly scientific, therefore, but as with all good support calls, I suspect the answer might be a reboot of the server, and then try again immediately the box is back up.

Regards
HJR

Opinions expressed are my own, and not those of Oracle Corporation
Oracle DBA Resources:               http://www.geocities.com/howardjr2000