Re: Converting from Informix to Oracle.

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 16:23:03 +1100

I would guess not. Hell, if you can cope with Unix, you must be good!! (Please, I was just joking).

I would anticipate a steep but short learning curve, followed by a more lengthy plateau-like osmosis of Oracle tricks and techniques.

I reckon the hardest part for anyone swapping from one RDBMS to another is learning to stop wanting the new one to behave like the old one. Bring your existing knowledge across, by all means, but learn when to let go and stop comparing.

There are of course heaps of new features (not to mention terminology) to get to grips with, but if you've learnt to ride one bicycle, you shouldn't be falling off a new one too often.

Regards
HJR

Opinions expressed are my own, and not those of Oracle Corporation
Oracle DBA Resources:               http://www.geocities.com/howardjr2000