passing cursor vars to other procedures

From: <gdas_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 22:26:20 GMT

Hi,

I am trying to modularize a stored procedure. It works fine, but's it's getting pretty large and has a lot of redundant code, so I'm trying to take alot of the code and put it into separate procedures which I will then call from this main procedure. This is purely for modularization and I don't desire to return any resultsets back to a calling application.

I'm having some trouble achieving my desired result and am hoping someone could assist.

The procedure's declaration area declares 5 cursors in the format:

cursor [name] is select ... from ... where... ; r1 [name]%rowtype;

The body of the procedure opens the cursors, fetches the rows and processes them. I'm trying to replace this entire block of code with a call to another procedure in which I pass to that procedure a cursor variable. I tried the obvious approach of simply passing the cursor variable and on the other side, declaring the procedure with an in parameter that was a cursor. This didn't work.

I was just reading the pl/sql users manual and all examples the had of cursors being passed between procedures involved the use of packages. Do I have to use a package in order to pass a cursor variable to another procedure? If not, can someone provide an example because I can't seem to get it to work.

Thanks for any help,
Gavin

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Nov 15 2000 - 16:26:20 CST