Re: ODBC problem

From: <jocave_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 22:13:40 GMT

In article <3a11d3ef_at_news.iprimus.com.au>,   "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote:
> If you are using the Oracle ODBC driver to set up the connection in
 Control
> Panel - Administrative Tools - Data Sources, then the rule I've come
 up with
> is that you fill in the three key fields as follows:
>
> Data Source Name - set it to be the Instance name to which you are
 trying to
> connect
> Description - Anything that makes you happy
> Service Name - set it to be the instance name to which you are trying
> connect
>
> In short, the key thing I find is to make sure the Data Source Name
 and the
> Service Name are exactly the same thing, and that thing should be the
> tnsnames entry for the database. When I was setting this up first
 time, if
> I set those two things to be whatever succeeded as a tnsping address,
 no
> problems.
>
> I originally made the mistake of thinking that 'Data Source Name'
 sounds
> like a chance to have a free text description of the thing (and the
 layout
> of the window kind of suggested it wasn't as important as the Service
 Name,
> too) -but it always fails for me unless the two match.
>
> Not terribly scientific, but it works for me!

I have numerous DSN's that are different than their service names and have never seen this problem. Is it possible that you're mixing up DSN's and Service Names in your connect strings?

 http://www.geocities.com/howardjr2000

> "David Fitzjarrell" <oratune_at_aol.com> wrote in message
> > In our last gripping episode "gun" <kimpin_at_pl.jaring.my> wrote:
> > > I am using oracle 8.1.6 enterprise edition for windows 2000
 professional.
> > > The connection to the database was successful using sql plus. I
 could
 create

--
Justin Cave - Oracle ODBC Development

Opinions expressed herein are my own and may not reflect those of
Oracle Corporation.