Re: Disaster Recovery HELP!!

From: Glen A. Stromquist <glenstr_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 00:02:42 GMT

<snipped>
>In particular, you'll
> discover that there's a very good reason why backup exec won't take an
> online copy of the Online Redo Logs -because it would be pointless to
 do so.
> The files would be internally inconsistent, and what mechanism have
 we got
> to make them consistent?? Nada is the short answer.

It is pointless to take a copy of the online redo logs, but what you can do is have your hot backup script do an alter system switch logfile after the last datafile has been backed up and put back online, then take a copy of these logfiles that were generated while the hotbackup script was running as part of your hot backup. This gives you a true "up to the minute" hot backup.

I have a simple set of 3 SQL*PLUS scripts I wrote for an NT hotbackup that does exactly this, if you are interested I'll send you a copy.

 http://www.geocities.com/howardjr2000

> "George" <corcorang_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message
> > Ok I think i have managed to open the database and reset the logs.
> > This is what happened i started recovery and when it got to the
 archive
> > log that i didn't have, i restored an online log file that just
> > happened to get backed up. The recover took the log and finished
> > recovery and open sesame it worked. Now backupexec oracle client
> > doesn't backup online log files and i was just lucky the grp2 log
 was
> > on another disk that i backed up. I now downed the server stopped
 all
> > services and took a cold backup of the entire server so I think i
 will
> > be ok. I don't think i trust this hot backup stuff. Thanks for all
> > the advice.
> >

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Nov 15 2000 - 18:02:42 CST