Re: INTERNAL password problem on NT

From: David Fitzjarrell <oratune_at_aol.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 20:20:51 GMT

In our last gripping episode insomnia_at_cvzoom.net (Greg Akins) wrote:
> Hmm, I never noticed any snide remarks from Sybrand.
>
> Anyways, you can use oradim to delete and recreate a SID, without
> knowing the internal password.
>
> I think you can also do this with orapwd, but I'm not sure.
>
> -greg
>
> On Tue, 14 Nov 2000 18:50:42 GMT, kal121_at_my-deja.com wrote:
>
> >(note to sybrand - your commments/suggestions/snide remarks/bad
> >attitude are unwanted here - thank you)
> >
> >****************************************************************
> >
> >I created a password file but when I try to log onto svrmgrl
> >as "internal" it does not recognize the password, which is "oracle".
> >
> >D:\Oracle\Ora815\BIN>orapwd file=orapwi815 password=oracle entries=5
> >
> >D:\Oracle\Ora815\BIN>svrmgrl
> >
> >Oracle Server Manager Release 3.1.5.0.0 - Production
> >
> >(c) Copyright 1997, Oracle Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
> >
> >Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.5.0.0 - Production
> >With the Partitioning and Java options
> >PL/SQL Release 8.1.5.0.0 - Production
> >
> >SVRMGR> connect internal
> >Password: (typed in oracle)
> >ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied
> >
> >I seem to recall having this problem on NT in the past, but it has
 been
> >a while. I also remember that there is a file somewhere that shows
 this
> >password in regular text, but I don't remember where it is.
> >
> >Has anyone else had this problem?
> >
> >Thanks
> >

> >Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> >Before you buy.

> -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

Check your init.ora file for the remote_login_passwordfile setting; it should be EXCLUSIVE or SHARED. If it is commented out or non-existent then the value is NONE and the password file will not be used. If the init.ora file is changed the database will need to be shutdown and started to effect the changes.

On NT you should be a member of the ORA_DBA group so that you can issue the 'connect internal' command and not be prompted for a password. You may then shutdown the instance and re-start it. If you are the administrator for the database you may wish to add your personal login to the ORA_DBA group (the NT Administrator account is automatically part of the ORA_DBA group since Oracle must be installed as Administrator so you may need to log into NT as Adminstrator then add your account to the ORA_DBA group).

--
David Fitzjarrell
Oracle Certified DBA