Re: Suppress writing Redo Log Data

From: David Fitzjarrell <oratune_at_aol.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 16:30:29 GMT

In our last gripping episode "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> I think you may have the cart and the horse round the wrong way.
 NOLOGGING
> doesn't suppress redo for normal inserts, updates and deletes, but
 only for
> peculiar DML done under certain circumstances (eg, create table
 newemp as
> select * from oldemp, SQL*Loader in direct path and so on). Various
 DDL can

 http://www.geocities.com/howardjr2000

> "David Fitzjarrell" <oratune_at_aol.com> wrote in message
> > In our last gripping episode insued_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Is it possible to tell Oracle *not* to write redo log information
 for
 certain
> > > insert and update statements ? There is no need for the modified
 data
 to be
> > > recovered after DB crash or DB shutdown, so the redo data is not
 really
> > > necessary.
> > >
> > > I appreciate any help.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Thomas Staudenmaier
> > >
> > > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > > Before you buy.
> > >

> > Not on a statement basis. There is an option to CREATE TABLE/ALTER
> > TABLE (also applies to CREATE/ALTER INDEX statements) that will
 prevent
> > most redo log entries (inserts, deletes, updates) from being written
> > but it is at the table/index level. INVALID blocks and dictionary
> > changes (add table columns, alter column storage parameters, drop
 table
> > columns [in 8i]) will still be written to the redo logs but garden
> > variety DML will not.
> >
> > Check the Oracle documentation for more on the NOLOGGING option for
> > tables and indexes.
> >
> > --
> > David Fitzjarrell
> > Oracle Certified DBA
> >

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

Apparently the 8.1.6 documentation is not as clear as that for 8.1.5 -- I did not find that information as succinctly put. It IS there, and I perused the documentation and pieced it together. My misread was unintentional. Thank you for clearing up the subject (of course, I NEVER claimed to be infallable).

--
David Fitzjarrell
Oracle Certified DBA