Re: Suppress writing Redo Log Data

From: David Fitzjarrell <oratune_at_aol.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 15:33:16 GMT

In our last gripping episode insued_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is it possible to tell Oracle *not* to write redo log information for
 certain
> insert and update statements ? There is no need for the modified data
 to be
> recovered after DB crash or DB shutdown, so the redo data is not
 really
> necessary.
>
> I appreciate any help.
>
> Thanks,
> Thomas Staudenmaier
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Not on a statement basis. There is an option to CREATE TABLE/ALTER TABLE (also applies to CREATE/ALTER INDEX statements) that will prevent most redo log entries (inserts, deletes, updates) from being written but it is at the table/index level. INVALID blocks and dictionary changes (add table columns, alter column storage parameters, drop table columns [in 8i]) will still be written to the redo logs but garden variety DML will not.

Check the Oracle documentation for more on the NOLOGGING option for tables and indexes.

--
David Fitzjarrell
Oracle Certified DBA