Re: What is DBA daily activities?

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_erols.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 00:52:58 +0000

lkj741_at_my-deja.com wrote:

> I like to know from other Oracle DBA guru's about their daily
> activities as a DBA.
>
> Thanks
>

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

        I like to get in early in the morning and make sure everything is okay. I run my scripts that check the disk space and alert logs on each of the production servers. Then I log into each of the production database instances just to make sure they are alive and well.

        If I see that we are running short of disk space or that there are errors in the alert logs I take corrective action.

        Next I check my incoming emails to see if any of the users, the help desk, or the Systems Administrators have any problems.

        I usually have a major project, for example, I just wrote up a proposal on configuration management, which typically accounts for three to four hours per day.

        I divide the rest of my time between assisting developers and browsing the web.

--
Jerry Gitomer
Once I learned how to spell DBA, I became one