Re: Aborting PL/SQL

From: Mark D Powell <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 16:41:15 GMT

In article <8urmg6$2rj4a$1_at_ID-6634.news.dfncis.de>,   hennes_at_topmail.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there any chance to abort a long running PL/SQL procedure by
 another
> way than 'shutdown abort'? We have some very impatient customers,
> thinking the client hangs and then - without further thinking -
 pressing
> ctrl-alt-del and quitting the client programme. The PL/SQL-routine
> allthough ist still running and is therefore holding locks on several
> tables.
>
> If it were possible, we could add an Abort button for them to kick the
> thread. No, we can't split the routine up to several small ones.
>
> Ah, almost forgotten: Oracle 8i EE Rel2 on Sun Solaris.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Ralf Jonas

From sqlplus you can abort pl/sql code with a control-c just as you can a long running sql statement (assuming control-c is not trapped at OS level by profile). Perhaps your application could send this command.

As an alternate it is possible to write a database stored procedure that can locate and kill sessions based on passed criteria such as Oracle username, OS user name, program being executed and other information in v$session. This routine could be called to perform the task.

--
Mark D. Powell  -- The only advice that counts is the advice that
 you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.