Re: ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error

From: <sybrandb_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 17:59:14 GMT

In article <8ursi4$a4e$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   kal121_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> I installed Oracle 8.1.5 for NT on my machine. I am trying to connect
> locally (from the same box as the server). I know from past experience
> that I should *not* have to enter the hostname when connecting
 locally.

> However, if I omit the hostname I get this error:
> ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
>
> When I include the hostname, it works. Sqlnet.ora is not being used.
> The listener is up and running.
>
> This is the entry in my local tnsnames.ora file:
>
> I815 =
> (DESCRIPTION =
> (ADDRESS_LIST =
> (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC0))
> )
> (CONNECT_DATA =
> (SERVICE_NAME = i815)
> )
> )
>
> Does anyone know why this isn't working? Obviously, I can still
 connect
> if I provide the hostname, but I'd still like to know what I'm doing
> wrong that is preventing me from connecting w/o a hostname.
>
> Is it a bug?
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Obviously you didn't set either ORACLE_SID and/or the LOCAL variable in the registry. This should resolve your issue. This behavior is well documented.

It is always funny to note how fast people start saying a product is buggy. Evidently those users are infallible and it is always the product at fault.

Regards,

--
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

All standard disclaimers apply