Re: Make RAS work and Larry will give you a million bucks - GUARANTEED

From: David Fitzjarrell <oratune_at_aol.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 14:57:03 GMT

In our last gripping episode "Joseph Kramar" <j-kramar7_at_nospammersar. com.au> wrote:
> Here is the easiest way to make a cool million....be
> the first to fix my computer that Oracle FUCKED up,
> then write to Larry to claim your million...couldn't be
> simpler.
>
> I installed Oracle 8i Enterprise 8.1.5 on my Windows
> NT. This came with "Oracle 8i for Windows NT
> Starter Kit" by Oracle Press. Following the instructions
> in that book, this installs the Oracle 8i server, Net8,
> and a starter database. So now I can use Oracle, use
> SQL*Plus, use ODBC on the same machine to talk
> to Oracle, etc. All apparently ok.
>
> Except that Dial-up Networking / Remote Access
> Services (RAS) no longer work - I can no longer dial
> out to the internet or anyone else! When double-clicking
> Dial-Up Networking, it gives
> "Cannot load the Remote Access Connection Manager
> service. Error 711: RasMan initialization failure.
> Check the event log."
>
> The NT event log shows two events:
> 1) Event ID: 20032.
> Remote Access Connection Manager failed to start
> because it could not load one or more communication
> DLLs. Ensure that your communication hardware is
> installed and then restart the computer. If the problem
> persists, reinstall the Remote Access Service.
> 2) Event ID: 7024
> The Remote Access Connection Manager service
> terminated with service-specific error 615.
>
> I've set Oracle to start manually instead of automatically,
> but it makes little difference: Dial-Up Networking won't
> work, whether or not any Oracle service is running.
>
> I tried reinstalling RAS as it suggested above (in
> Control Panel,. Network icon). Unfortunately when it
> gets to the part where it tries to detect the modem, it
> doesn't find it. It pretends it's not there.
>
> This is 100% an Oracle problem. I've had my computer
> working fine for ages until now, and it's the installation
> of Oracle that has now screwed it up.

So, have you de-installed ORACLE? If ORACLE is truly the problem performing a de-install should correct the problems that were created.

> Sybase didn't do that. Sybase worked. Sybase doesn't
> FUCK up your computer when you install it. Sybase
> also doesn't take 2 hours to install.
>
> NT should be detecting the modem automatically. It
> didn't need any "modem drivers" (not for NT, anyway)
> before, and I don't have any for NT anyway (only Win95).
>
> No, I'm not going install any "latest service pack" to
> wreck my computer further. I don't need it. ORACLE
> wrecked my computer. Now ORACLE will pay out its
> million dollars, because this is CONCRETE PROOF
> that its product is inferior to Sybase.

The only thing this is CONCRETE PROOF of is either an ORACLE installation gone awry (you didn't mention if there were any errors generated by the ORACLE installation), not enough memory to handle both ORACLE and RAS or a DLL version issue. De-install ORACLE, then reinstall RAS.

> Larry would do well to concentrate on making its only
> product - the database - work properly instead of
> worrtying about "diversifying" or searching through
> other peoples' rubbish. Oracle is not an
> e-business company. It is not an ASP company.
> It is not a "suites" or "hosting servers" company.
> It is a database company, period. Nothing more.
> Microsoft is a diversified company. Oracle is not.
> Ellison will never, EVER, be better than Bill Gates.
>
> Go on, I challenge someone to get my computer
> working again.

Again, de-install ORACLE.

--
David Fitzjarrell