Re: Net8 - Problem

From: <michaelbogen_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 20:37:52 GMT

> Do you have by any chance two different versions of Oracle on that
> system, say 8.0 and 8i? You may have also two different sets of
> configuration files on that system.
> tnsping is either 7.3 or 8i, tnsping80 is for Oracle 8i
> In Oracle 7.3 and 8i network files end up in
 %ORACLE_HOME%\network\admin
> In Oracle 8.0 in %ORACLE_HOME%\net80\admin
> Could you modify the sqlnet.ora of the client you think you are using,
> and add
> trace_level_client = 16
> and try to connect (so not use ping). It will generate a sqlnet.trc
> with error messages, it will also show which tnsnames.ora it is using.
>
> Hth,
>
> --
> Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

Hello Sybrand!

I've changed a few things, connecting as a normal user meanwhile works. Only the owner of the oracle software can't connect (although using the same tnsnmaes.ora/sqlnet.ora as the other users).

However, I guess I know the "mistake". Before I installed Oracle 8i I installed Oracle Develeoper, both with the same user. Now Oracle Developer's home is c:\orant and Oracle8i has c:\orant8i. I looked in my registry (local_machine/software/oracle) and I saw that most of the keys start with "c:\orant\...", some might have been overwritten(?). So I'm afraid there is a lot chaos on the machine :( I'm not very familiar with Win NT, what do you think about this "theory"? Maybe the best way is to reinstall everything?

Thanks ind advance!
Michael

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Sun Nov 12 2000 - 14:37:52 CST