Re: Net8 - Problem

From: <oradba_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 17:36:11 GMT

In article <8umf7k$kk$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   michaelbogen_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> In article <8umdqg$vg6$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> michaelbogen_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> > In article <8ukhc2$lq0$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> > oradba_at_sybrandb.demon.nl wrote:

 <servicename>
 always
 sqlplus
 in the

> > > 12203 usually means :
> > > the host you refer to in your tnsnames.ora doesn't exist
> > > or there is no listener running.
> > > The host name should refer to an existing hostname, which can be
> > > resolved either by dns, or by lmhosts or by hosts, latter files
 both
 in
> > > \winnt\system32\drivers\etc directory.
> > > Your tnsnames.ora definitely is incorrect, as you can have only
 one
> > > servicename before the = sign. If you want an alias, you'll need
> > > repeat the complete block.
> > >
> > Hi!
> >
> > Thanks so far.
> > The host does exist and the listener does run. I also fixed the
> > tnsnames.ora file. However, tnsping80 still doesent't work, I still
 get
> > the 12203 error. Any ideas? (tnsping (not tnsping80) works.)
> >
> > Michael

> oops, meanwhile has become a "12538: TNS:no such protocol adapter"
> error :-( Thanks for any help.
>

> Michael
>

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Do you have by any chance two different versions of Oracle on that system, say 8.0 and 8i? You may have also two different sets of configuration files on that system.
tnsping is either 7.3 or 8i, tnsping80 is for Oracle 8i In Oracle 7.3 and 8i network files end up in %ORACLE_HOME%\network\admin In Oracle 8.0 in %ORACLE_HOME%\net80\admin Could you modify the sqlnet.ora of the client you think you are using, and add
trace_level_client = 16
and try to connect (so not use ping). It will generate a sqlnet.trc with error messages, it will also show which tnsnames.ora it is using.

Hth,

--
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

All standard disclaimers apply