Re: Poor Performance E4500

From: <jumaga_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 17:20:33 GMT

How slow is it? Is it not responding at all or just not performing up to snuff? If it is really slow it sounds to me like you have a fundamental configuration error, and you'd need to provide more info for troubleshooting. Are any errors in the alert log? Is the CPU pinned? Is swapping occuring? Is the OS logging any errors?

If it just isn't performing up to snuff you should know that in general RAID 5 should NOT be used on Oracle for write intensive operations. This is due to the additional computation needed to calculate the parity bit. Also if redo/rollback are RAID 5 you will have any even bigger performance hit.

In article <8uh9ud$85t$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   bmw95_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> Hello
> We have install Solaris 8 on E4500 and at the
> same time this server connected to the disk
> storage A5200.
> Disk Storage is connected by fiber to the server
> with 7 9gb 10000 rpm disks
>
> Now, after we install oracle we have found poor,
> slow, terrible performances. All we try to do is
> write to the table 100 records at the same time
> in 15 fields table. Lets say information that we
> was trying to insert was client contact info
> (first name, last name so on)
>
> Disk array layout is 2 drives are striped and
> then mirrored to another 2-stripped drives.
> And we have mount this space to ..../data
>
> Anoter drives are mirrored and mount to
> the .../index for indexes
>
> Our storage capable of RAID5 Maybe we are doing
> something wrong here. We need an advice.
> Thank you
> Vlad Kogan
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Nov 10 2000 - 11:20:33 CST