Re: disks and datafiles distribution

From: <sybrandb_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 20:18:26 GMT

In article <8uhidn$fvv$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   Diego <dpafumi_at_my-deja.com> wrote:
> Hi to all, I created my database with the following distribution:
>
> DISK5 - oracle software, log1b, log2b, log3b
> DISK1 - ctrl1, log1a, log2a, log3a, tablespace SYSTEM, tablespace
 TEMP1
> DISK2 - ctrl2, tablespace ROLLBACK_SEGMENT2, tablespace TEMP2
> DISK3 - ctrl3, tablespace ROLLBACK_SEGMENT1, tablespace TOOLS (nobody
> use this tablespace)
> DISK4 - DATA
>
> The questions:
>
> 1- Is this distribution OK?
> 2- I have to add another datafile for indexes, where should i put it?
> 3- Disk1 is not overloaded?
>
> Thanks for your help
> Diego
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Questions and remarks
1 Why two tablespaces for ROLLBACK
2 Why two tablespaces for TEMP
3 Disk2 is doing almost nothing, as is disk3 4 rollback and temp can be on one disk as temp is not logged anyway 5 disk1 is overloaded
6 Move TEMP (one tablespace) to disk3
7 if capacity allows free up disk2 and have your indexes there.

The DBA handbook by Kevin Loney contains a nice discussion and it has an example of a 5-disk config.

Hth,

--
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

All standard disclaimers apply