Re: create table statements in a given directory

From: David Fetter <shackle_at_fetter.org>
Date: 10 Nov 2000 22:54:50 GMT

>> > Yes.It is on Windows NT.

>> Step 1.  Mount the CD on a UNIX (or Linux) box.  The former NT box
>> with its drive wiped and UNIX installed instead would be an ideal
>> candidate.

> What a novel idea... completely gut a production system running on
> NT (probably the O/S of choice for the enterprise) and rebuild it
> with UNIX. Apparently it wouldn't matter that no one may know UNIX
> -- just do it anyway. Not the most responsible of suggestions.

It's more responsible than suggesting that they continue on with NT. There is no good reason to run a production *anything* on NT when there are alternatives available.

>> Step 2. Do the usual UNIX stuff.

> From above, there may be no one who knows UNIX at that site, making
> the 'upgrade' fairly worthless for the time being.

I guess that means they need to cut some job req's and/or train some people. The chances are pretty good that they'll need fewer people with UNIX in the house than NT because NT requires so damned much maintenance.

> I am not disparaging UNIX -- I cut my teeth on UNIX and most systems
> I've worked on have been various and sundry ports of the O/S,
> however there are reasons, unbeknownst to you, why a company chooses
> NT over UNIX.

Not good ones. I've heard every reason in the book and they all amount to "I'm lazy and/or cheap."

> One shouldn't advocate trashing a system simply because the
> operating system isn't what one would like.

I'm not advocating trashing anything. What I suggested would contribute immensely to uptime and let a lot of people sleep better at night.

Cheers,

          David Fetter            888 O'Farrell Street Apt E1205
       david_at_fetter.org           San Francisco, CA 94109-9046
http://fetter.org/~shackle phone: +1 415 567 2690 fax: +1 415 567 2340

All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age
of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.
                                                    Adam Smith,
      An Inquiry Into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations