Re: R: Snapshot fast: what a problem!

From: Kai Regi <kai_at_rs.ee>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 18:45:04 +0200

Hi,

I remember something like Oracle 7 identifies snapshot logs using last refresh timestamps. I wonder - is it possible, that two different snapshots have the same snapshot log on the same master table? Simply because the snapshot refresh time happens to be the same?

Try this on master site, you should see exactly as many records, how many fast refresh snapshots you have on this table:

select master,to_char(current_snapshots,'DD.MM.YY HH24:MI:SS') from user_snapshot_logs
where master='your_master_table_name';

If you have more records than snapshots, then some logs are idle and they simply waste your disk space. Use dbms_snapshot.purge_log to delete them (see docs before).

On snapshot site query the user_snapshots view and check if last refesh matches one of the above timestamps. It should, otherwise fast refresh is not possible.

I don't have Oracle7 any more, so I can not check this theory myself. Oracle8 has different logic.

Kai