Oracle 8.1.6i brand new install... and me

From: Florent <guelfucci_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 09:45:09 GMT

Hi all,
I am a C++ programmer and usually the database is already set-up before I have to play with it. So to my surprise I have realized that I cannot set-up an Oracle database from scratch.
I have installed oracle 8.1.6i on a stand alone machine. All the questions are straight forward and I shouldn't be the cause for my problems.
After the install, Oracle ask me to create an SID, (the other option is to link to an existing database), and ask me a few question about the machine itself.
Everything seems to be going ok, but when I go to the dba studio it tells me that there is no listener.
I go and create a listener but it doesn't make a difference.

Is it because Oracle doesn't allow you to install on a Win 98 stand alone machine? Did I even create the database properly? Or am I plain dumb.

Many thanks for any help

Florent

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Nov 09 2000 - 03:45:09 CST