Index Insider

From: Heiko Welter <Heiko.Welter_at_t-mobil.de>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 09:43:51 +0100

Hi!

I would like to know, how indices (B-Tree) ares organized in Oracle (V7 or V8). Especially how
they are "reorganized". Lets assume the following situation:

We have a combined Index on three fields (customer_key, date_from, date_to). Fields
"date_from" and "date_to" are to maintain a customer-history. Now here's my question:
If a new row is inserted in the table, the "date_to"-key of the previous row in the customer-history
is updated. How is the Index reorganised then? Most important: Does anyone have experience with a simalar situation? How efficient can the reorganisation be done (is ist only a pointer-change in the B-tree)?

Thanks for your help
Heiko Received on Thu Nov 09 2000 - 02:43:51 CST