Re: ProC,OCI,ODBC...which is better ?

From: spencer <spencerp_at_swbell.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 23:48:58 -0600

performance of an application is determined more by the design of the programs, database objects, and transactions than whether a program makes calls to the OCI library, or the Pro*C precompiler is used.

Pro*C can be faster and easier than learning the OCI, but the OCI does provide additional features which may enable the application to "perform better", whatever that means to you. It is possible to make use of a mixture of Pro*C and OCI calls in a module.

ODBC adds another layer between the program and the Oracle database, limits access to some of the database features, and, in some cases, negatively impact performance.