Re: Datafile Deleted While Instance Down - HELP!

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 11:44:47 +1100

When it tells you that Data File 98 (or whatever) needs recovery, then simply issue the command

alter database datafile 98 offline;

Now start up the rest of the database around the problem: alter database open.

Now drop the index tablespace: drop tablespace blah including contents;

However, you may have trouble doing that because certain indexes may be associated with enforcing primary or unique key constraints, and you'll need to disable those constraints before you can drop the indexes. Still, whilst you're figuring all that out, at least the rest of the databsae is up and running.

And I'd only add one other comment: because of this relationship between constraints, tables and indexes, the index tablespaces are not so trivial as you might think, and in a sense may be said to be part of the 'vitals' of a database... and I most certainly would include them in a backup scenario.

Regards
HJR

Opinions expressed are my own, and not those of Oracle Corporation
Oracle DBA Resources:               http://www.geocities.com/howardjr2000