Re: Get sysdate as number

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 13:02:49 +1100

Not calendrically, no.

There was no year zero. AD means 'In the year of the lord', so before he was born, it was 1 BC ('cos he wasn't there yet, and hence it was a 'before Christ' year). Once he was born, however, the year belonged to him, and hence was the first year of the lord, and thus 1AD.

Naturally, Christ was actually born in 7BC which rather stuffs things up, but you can thank Denis the Little (more properly known as Dionysius Exiguus) for that slight miscaluclation.

<Don anti-flame suit>

For this reason, the third millennium doesn't start until January 1st 2001. But hey -it was a great party this year, whatever!

Now, how Oracle takes all that into account, I haven't a clue. I can't stand working with Oracle dates at the best of times, but if it ever displays a year zero, it's wrong.

Incidentally, if you are as vaguely interested in calendars and stuff as me, take a trip to http://www.pauahtun.org/CalendarFAQ/cal/calendar23.html

Regards
HJR

Opinions expressed are my own, and not those of Oracle Corporation
Oracle DBA Resources:               http://www.geocities.com/howardjr2000

"Van Messner" <vmessner_at_bestweb.net> wrote in message

> Am I missing something? If you started counting in BC and moved forward
> AD there should be a year zero, shouldn't there?
>
> Van
>

> "Anton Dischner" <dischner_at_klch.med.uni-muenchen.de> wrote in message
> > Hi Klaus,
> >
> > what you are looking for is the Julian calendar, started Dec 31, 4713
BC.