When should I use COMPRESS=Y on export?

From: Carmen Iannacone <carmen_at_fabgear.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 23:55:49 GMT

I'm trying to migrate data from one database to another.

I know that I have some chaining going on, so I need to recreate the tables via a script, and then import with IGNORE=Y. The question I have is whether the exports that I'm doing should be done with COMPRESS=Y.

I'll be honest, I'm a little confused about that option; I thought I read somewhere that it may lead to a file that's not importable.

But, I want to improve my physical layout and reduce some dynamic extension.

Is this the time to use COMPRESS=Y, or should I in fact ALWAYS be using COMPRESS=Y?

Also, if you've read this far, how can I guarantee that the versions of EXP and IMP are compatible. They're both in the 8.* family...

Thanks for any help!

Carmen
(carmen_at_fabgear.com) Received on Wed Nov 08 2000 - 17:55:49 CST