Re: permission denied

From: <newguysanfran_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 18:18:10 GMT

Hey David,

  Thanks for the responce. I forwarded your reply to the sysadim. He said those files were owned by the Oracle account but the permissions were not set to -rwxr-xr-x oracle dba ..... sqlplus, but are now. He made those changes but they didn't work for my account. So he gave me the Oracle account. Which much to my amazement also has the same problem. Under ksh it gives "sqlplus:cannot execute" and under csh it says "sqlplus:permission denied".   Any ideas would be hugely appreciated.

Regards,
Bryan

In article <8ua17p$9o7$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   David Fitzjarrell <oratune_at_aol.com> wrote:
> In our last gripping episode newguysanfran_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am trying to get to sqlplus from a Unix(Ultrix) command line.
> > I am a part of the dba group, but yet it gives me permission denied
> > each time. I also tried a working user password like
> > sqlplus username/password and still got permission denied. The sys
> > admin doesn't know what the problem is yet he
> > refuses to give me root.
> >
> > Please help,
> >
> > Bryan
> >
> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.
> >

> He refuses to give you 'root' for good reason. Trust him on this.
>
> It sounds as though the Oracle install was completed as 'root' instead
> of 'oracle'; it also sounds as though the permission mask on sqlplus
> is 'out of whack' being set so that only the owner can execute it. If
> the owner of the file is not 'oracle' this also must be changed; it
 may
> be 'root' and, as such, must be altered by the sys admin. If my
 memory
> serves all files in $ORACLE_HOME/bin and $ORACLE_HOME/lib should
> be 'owned' by 'oracle'. This will need to be rectified before any
> other changes are made.
>
> That being said, the "Permission denied" message you are seeing is due
> to the operating system permissions, not the ORACLE database
> permissions. The permissions should be (if I remember correctly):
>
> -rwxr-xr-x oracle dba ..... sqlplus
>
> The permissions probably are:
>
> -rwxr--r-- oracle dba ..... sqlplus
>
> thus providing you with the error message "Permission denied". The
 sys
> admin should be able to change those for you, or, if you have access
> the 'oracle' UNIX account you can change them:
>
> $ su - oracle
> Password:
> $ cd $ORACLE_HOME/bin
> $ chmod 755 sqlplus
> $ exit
>
> You should then be able to access sqlplus:
>
> $ sqlplus user/pass
>
> SQL*Plus: Release 8.1.6.0.0 - Production on Tue Nov 7 16:49:07 2000
>
> (c) Copyright 1999 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
>
> Connected to:
> Oracle8 Enterprise Edition Release 8.0.5.0.0 - Production
> PL/SQL Release 8.0.5.0.0 - Production
>
> SQL>
>
> Or whatever release you have access to.
>
> --
> David Fitzjarrell
> Oracle Certified DBA
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Nov 08 2000 - 12:18:10 CST